Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Chardonnay


For my very first wine profile I chose the ubiquitous varietal, Chardonnay.
Chardonnay is rarely my first choice, but I like it. It is usually full bodied, off-dry, with notes of pineapple, apple, and vanilla. I usually drink Chardonnay from California.

Below are the typical flavor profiles for Chardonnay and I have also broken them down into Old World style and New World style.

Chardonnay New World style flavor profile: banana, pineapple, apple pie/cobbler, butterscotch, caramel, toast, burnt sugar, vanilla, ginger, nutmeg, a lot of oak, low acid

Chardonnay Old World style flavor profile: lemon, grapefruit, granny smith apple, butter, nuts, honey, minerals, flint, little wood, high acid

Here's a fun little game you can play the next time you are out for a glass of wine. Find out if you can get both an old world and new world chardonnay and don't let the server tell you which is which. See if you can identify the flavor profile and pick the old world vs the new world chardonnay based solely on smell/visual/flavor.

Feel free to check out some of the history and background of chardonnay too.

-H

No comments: